Thursday, May 24, 2012

My intro to a "real" trail

Last month I had this crazy idea to sign up for a trail run...a difficult trail run...a 30-freaking-kilometer trail run. In June. In Texas. When I've never run on a difficult trail in my life.

I honestly have no idea what I was thinking. 

But I did it and I'm committed to completing this run. Crazy or not.

I've kept up on my long runs since the winter marathons, so I'm not very worried about the distance. I've been running in the warmer temps, so I'm only mildly worried about the heat. The terrain? THAT I am worried about. I knew I needed to get myself out on a real trail to see what it's about, even if it's just for a few miles. I don't want surprises come race day.

My fabulous friend Red suggested the trail around Lake Georgetown, but to not go alone. So I recruited my awesome husband to go out there with me whenever he could squeeze it in while the kiddos were still in school. That day was today! We headed up to LGT right after dropping the kids off, but only had time for about 4 miles before he needed to be back home for work.


We found the trail head with no problem (thanks, Red!) and headed out on the trail. I knew it would be pretty rocky and difficult, but I don't think Greg was quite prepared for just how different it was. The first quarter mile is pretty mild, but then the really rocky part starts up, with a few smooth sections thrown in here and there. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've heard Greg complain and whine within the first mile of a run. I just had to laugh at him....and there was NO WAY I was going to utter anything other than pure joy about being out there. Ha!

At around the first mile mark, we get a view of Lake Georgetown. Totally makes the whole thing worth it.


Trail running is definitely done at a much slower pace. At the turnaround point at 2 miles we were already over 24 minutes into our run, where we'd normally only be 17-18 minutes into it. But I have to say it was so nice to just concentrate on where I was running and enjoy it, rather than worry about my pace.


We managed to run the 2 miles back quicker since we knew what to expect with the terrain, and we took advantage of the flatter and smoother sections with a quicker pace. We even managed sub-11 minute pace on Mile 4.

All in all, I think it was a great run and I had a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed all the shade! It was already getting very warm by 8:30am, so to have shade for 90% of the run was a definite bonus. I feel much better knowing what to expect on June 10, although I also now know just how difficult it's going to be to concentrate like that for 4+ hours.  I do plan to go out on the trail for a much longer run before the race to get even more comfortable.

The crazy continues!

3 comments:

  1. Trails ain't no joke! :) Glad you decided to test it out before the actual race. I love the idea of taking a run nice and slow and soaking up the beautiful surroundings. Please be careful out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be a good girl, I promise! I'm looking forward to my next run there

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete